Let’s say you have a document sitting on your desk that someone else has written. It’s good—but it’s way too long. How do you drastically edit it for length but ensure that (a) the author doesn’t get annoyed at the cuts, and (b) the author’s distinctive voice is maintained?
What do you do when the book you’ve written is in need of a second pair of eyes, or perhaps a thorough going-over for all those errors you’ve become blind to? What do you do when the article your client (or your boss!) has written just isn’t up to snuff, but you don’t want to offend anyone by returning it, and you don’t have time to edit it yourself?
That’s where we come in. We have a reputation for being able to edit others’ writing, even cutting it drastically, without the author even being aware of the cuts. “I had no idea I sounded so good!” is a phrase we have heard more than once.
Wizards of the Blue Pencil
Whether you want copy editing to smooth out the prose of a journal article, content editing to restructure a longer piece, or editing a book-length manuscript for publication, we are your first choice. We’ve edited weekly newsletters, quarterly magazines, and numerous books and book proposals—with excellent results. (The vast majority of our business comes from referrals from satisfied clients.)
Our editorial services include:
- Copy editing (language, grammar, usage, style, and proofreading)
- Content editing (an in-depth examination of the piece’s structure and expression)
- Translating technical jargon into language that is accessible to a general audience
- Creating non-sexist, inclusive language versions of sensitive materials, while ensuring that the phrasing is never stilted or awkward
- Professional indexing of books and journals